The best website and the best study notes for FRM?

CFAMonster

Hi, everyone!

This is the first time I am here and it seems that it might take quite some effort for me to get used to everything. Meanwhile, may I ask a couple of questions? Since I recently passed CFA tests, I'd like to use CFA for analogy purpose. Please do not mind.

I passed CFA predominantly using Schweser notes and by following the online discussions in theanalystforum.com. I am wondering whether there are any counter part of them for FRM? i.e., what is the best study note for FRM besides the official books (if any) from GARP? also what is the best places to ask questions and/or read about questions concerning FRM?

theanalystforum.com also has an FRM section, but it looks to me that it is not very well developed. I googled and find bionicturtle.com. I guess this might be the place for FRM, but I am not sure what is the meaning of bionicturtle and its relation to FRM. Sounds a bit funny, at least at the very beginning.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

best

The Monster

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Monster,

I am biased but i'll give you my views anyway:

* In terms of study notes, that is not our (my) focus product: for textual study notes, Schweser provides them, just like they do for CFA. And when people write us with pre-sales questions, and their criteria is only or primarily study notes, we sincerely refer them to Schweser.

* The BT focus (what I hope is our strength) is based on my belief that most study notes are essentially versions of the source material and therefore marginally better than the source, and helpful more or less depending on your learning style (some are good at reading notes and memorizing, but *many* peope retain very little after reading notes. A fair segment of my customers are folks who only used study notes for the exam previously and want to try our way for the 2nd attempt). So, my focus is (i) video tutorials that have PPT printouts which essentially serve as notes/flashcards, (ii) dynamic learning XLS (the most concrete understanding is really only possible in the models) and (iii) I do think we have a reputation for writing the toughest questions (you'll note that's been mentioned on the AF board). I work very hard to give customers tough *and* precise questions; much of our positive f/back after exam day is along the lines of "thank you for giving me tough questions." (also, my own strategic focus is visual learning and hands-on, tool-based learning)

* This forum is a also a focus, and part of my committment to engaged help ... I think it's safe to assert that we are the most active FRM board (currently)

Thanks, David

CFAMonster

Hi, David:

Thanks a lot for the clarification. A key question for me to decide whether to buy a Schweser study note or not is actually heavily influenced by the thickness-of-books comparison. Since level III CFA official books probably exceeds 1500 pages in total, I found the Schweser notes very helpful, even though they are mostly a rephrase of the official books. At least somebody took the effort to screen out arcane details that won't show up in the actual exams and this effort does worth whatever it cost me.

Naturally, my question would be: how many pages do the official GARP books have and how many pages do the Schweser notes have? Of course, it is not fair to assume that you have done the comparison and I know that there probably is not an answer for FRM II. Still, any facts and opinions will be very helpful.

Best,

The Monster

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Monster (no offense!)

That's interesting, they must do a great job on the CFA notes b/c I own the CFA source cirriculum b/c I think the CFA institute books are among the finest you can find. But, I do see your point about the "filter" value....

....i don't know the page-to-pages comparison. But I do think there is a huge cirriculum difference between CFA and FRM. The CFA is quite mature compared to the FRM; the FRM is still very rough around the edges, even before the new L2 format.

So when you say, "somebody took the effort to screen out arcane details that won’t show up in the actual exams," this is difficult-to-impossible for the current FRM 2009 exam simply because GARP's approach gives very little predictability. FRM questions famously have an imperfect correlation to the AIM statements (a "looseness" they seemed to formalize this year in the AIM language); in large part, this is deliberate. I am quite familiar with the disciplined structure of the CFA. The FRM is not like that, which has pros/cons, it is very difficult to say which details should be omitted (?!).

but also, my focus is not "merely" the exam for the exam's sake. I have customers who aren't sitting for the exam and my quality standard is frankly higher than GARP's (i.e., my error rate is demonstrably lower) because I am looking beyond the exam and hoping to become a preeminent destination. I sincerely try to help customers get a durable introduction to risk and learn concepts beyond the exam (also, as an aspiring "trust hub," selling short-term product is not my only goal in life; I am seeking to earn visitors' trust)... although this "focus on the fundamentals" has served us well in results (by any metric, we clearly have the highest pass % and satisfaction. Although my sample admittedly may be biased toward the more serious risk student) ... I do think it also implies that we are not the best for everybody, depending on your goals/criteria.

Thanks, David

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
Hello,

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but it seems right on point for my question. I'd like to know how the answers apply in 2019.

I want to prepare for the FRM in November, both parts. I recently passed 3 FINRA exams using Kaplan. While I occasionally watched their videos I mainly used their book and question bank.

Now I keep reading that BT is the best. But do you offer a textbook or is it all videos? I'm not exactly clear what you mean by Study Notes.

If you don't offer a textbook, is Schweser my best choice?

Can I subscribe to BT's question bank without the rest of the course?

About me. I am not presently employed in the business. I am a former derivatives trader with an engineering degree from a top university. I recently passed the SIE, the Series 3 and Series 65 with about 3 weeks prep for each, the last two prepared for concurrently. While the some of the Series 3 material was familiar all of the 65 (Law) was pretty new to me.

Thank you,
Sixcarbs

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Sixcarbs

We don't offer the PQs a la carte, rather they are a key component of our Basic package; i.e., our lowest-price package is the only way to buy our practice questions. See here because we recently received this question again https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/can-i-purchase-only-the-practice-questions.22714/#post-77355

What do we mean by study notes: That's an odd question that I haven't seen in a while or maybe ever, sorry. Study notes are described here at https://www.bionicturtle.com/features-pricing-2/
Our summary Study Notes are delivered in downloadable, unprotected PDF format (we do not want to inconvenience our customers with unwieldy digital right management, DRM). Our Notes are not intended to teach all of the material for the first time; we have found that such material tends to largely duplicate the source assignment. Instead, our Notes are meant to help you review the concepts efficiently. Our Notes use images, examples and helpful tips, and they follow the FRM Learning Objectives.

... but importantly, they can be sampled in our Study Planner at https://learn.bionicturtle.com/frm-study-planner/

I'm sure @Nicole Seaman can add something useful tomorrow (Monday). Thanks!

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hello,

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but it seems right on point for my question. I'd like to know how the answers apply in 2019.

I want to prepare for the FRM in November, both parts. I recently passed 3 FINRA exams using Kaplan. While I occasionally watched their videos I mainly used their book and question bank.

Now I keep reading that BT is the best. But do you offer a textbook or is it all videos? I'm not exactly clear what you mean by Study Notes.

If you don't offer a textbook, is Schweser my best choice?

Can I subscribe to BT's question bank without the rest of the course?

About me. I am not presently employed in the business. I am a former derivatives trader with an engineering degree from a top university. I recently passed the SIE, the Series 3 and Series 65 with about 3 weeks prep for each, the last two prepared for concurrently. While the some of the Series 3 material was familiar all of the 65 (Law) was pretty new to me.

Thank you,
Sixcarbs
Hello @Sixcarbs

David answered both of your questions, but I want to also point you to this FAQ page, which describes the materials and services that we offer here at BT: https://www.bionicturtle.com/bt-faq/why-should-i-choose-bionic-turtle-for-my-frm-preparation/. I am happy to answer any other questions that you may have.

Thank you,

Nicole