Exam Feedback May 2018 Part 1 Exam Feedback

Karim_B

Subscriber
For those debating taking Part II in Nov or May I'd add the following (I took part I in May 2017 then had to defer part II from Nov 2017 to this May since work got crazy):
1) There are some references to Part I topics in Part II. They aren't insurmountable (I managed to pass), but it does make it a bit easier to have the part I materials fresh in your mind for Part II.
2) It takes a while to get back into study mode after you've been on a break - although I guess you could argue the opposite, and say you'll come back refreshed and ready after a break. For me it took some time to get back into the swing of things.
3) The GARP curriculum changes from 2017 to 2018 were minimal, so it made it easier for BT and other prep providers to update their materials. Who knows how widespread the changes in 2019 might be.
4) The BT materials are updated throughout the year, so more will be updated and available for Nov than May.
Best of luck!
Karim

ag0511

I have created the Whatsapp study group for preparation of Nov 2018 Part 2 examination.People interested in joining the same may provide their nos on the ongoing discussion in the topic -whatsapp study group for FRM part 2 nov 2018 examination.Strongly believe that successful part 1 candidates from May 2018 ,even in slight dilemma about appearing in Nov 18 should join to keep the momentum and remain in that "study hungry and exam ready" psychological zone .Thanks

anirudhjay

I really want to share something about the cut offs since it bothers most people for weeks after the exam until results come in.

I scored 2,2,2,1 on Part 1 answering exactly 67 questions out of 100 with what was likely to be not more than 80% accuracy, given that I had taken only one mock exam before sitting for the real thing (the GARP 2018 sample exam, on which I scored 60). I filled the remaining 33 questions with B. Clearly, I felt I'd fail once the test got over. 6 weeks later, I was surprised to note that I had passed. Assuming I got about 1 in 4 of these Bs correct, and 80% of the 67 correct, then my score would have been around 62. I'm therefore thinking that a score of 60 was sufficient to comfortably pass considering that I know people with 3,2,2,3 who also passed. 45–55 is what the cutoff may have been for the May 2018 FRM Part 1.

nikic

I really want to share something about the cut offs since it bothers most people for weeks after the exam until results come in.

I scored 2,2,2,1 on Part 1 answering exactly 67 questions out of 100 with what was likely to be not more than 80% accuracy, given that I had taken only one mock exam before sitting for the real thing (the GARP 2018 sample exam, on which I scored 60). I filled the remaining 33 questions with B. Clearly, I felt I'd fail once the test got over. 6 weeks later, I was surprised to note that I had passed. Assuming I got about 1 in 4 of these Bs correct, and 80% of the 67 correct, then my score would have been around 62. I'm therefore thinking that a score of 60 was sufficient to comfortably pass considering that I know people with 3,2,2,3 who also passed. 45–55 is what the cutoff may have been for the May 2018 FRM Part 1.

To suggest that the cutoff is somewhere between 45-55 is absolutely ridiculous. The only other person I know IRL who took the FRM Part 1 in May 2018 failed...and I'm absolutely certain she scored above 50, probably closer to 60.

Now assuming you really did blindly and randomly select the answer to 33 questions (by selecting B for each of them)...and if you got exactly 1/4th of the correct...plus 80% of the other 67 questions were correct...you get 62 marks. But who's to say you actually got 1/4 of the blind guesses correct? Maybe you got 1/3 of them correct? Seems like you got lucky and that wouldn't be out of the question.

Also, the bands are very wide. It is entirely possible that someone getting 2/2/2/2 could fail.

Point being:

1) I don't think you scored 62. You may have well hit the jackpot with your selection of B's and scored very slightly higher at 64 or 65 correct (or even more!).

2) My own experience tells me that the passing score is definitely no higher than 65. Cause I can guarantee I scored no higher than 70 (but no less than 63 at the same time) and got a 2/2/1/1. Ultimately I won't be surprised I scored 67-68 correct. But at the same time I do not believe the passing score is lower than 60-62.

So yeah it's crazy to suggest a 55 could be a pass, let alone a 45. But the pass is also definitely not at 70 marks. More likely in the lower 60s (or maybe even the very high 50s). You knowing someone with a 3/2/2/3 who passed doesn't in and of itself say anything as each band is very wide. That person could be scoring at the top of the bands, and you could have been scoring at the lower end of the bands.

anirudhjay

Ultimately we all rely on anecdotal evidence through these forums, or through other test takers - on what may be enough to make the cut. I may have cited a very specific example in my last post (my bad), but I have come across enough examples outside of forums to believe that cutoffs suggested on forums may be upward biased because of more serious, successful (result-wise) and invested candidates flocking them (selection bias). It's just an opinion, and I won't pretend to sound confident or sure.

I understand that the reason why any discussion around cutoffs can be outright speculative and inconclusive is because of broad sectional quartiles that we find ourselves in, instead of getting absolute scores. One could easily be at the lower end of each quartile and never know. I therefore suggested what may have been the cutoff range.

iagopp

I received this mail:

Congratulations on passing the Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exam Part I. You have proven that you have the core skills required to stand with the world’s elite financial risk professionals. Now, take the next step by registering for the FRM Exam Part II. Your enrollment status in the FRM program will allow you to waive the enrollment fee (saving you USD 400).

I decided to take the May 2019 exam for part II but as long as I know I wont have to pay again the enrollment fee of 400usd if I register un january, is that right?

I received this mail:

Congratulations on passing the Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exam Part I. You have proven that you have the core skills required to stand with the world’s elite financial risk professionals. Now, take the next step by registering for the FRM Exam Part II. Your enrollment status in the FRM program will allow you to waive the enrollment fee (saving you USD 400).

I decided to take the May 2019 exam for part II but as long as I know I wont have to pay again the enrollment fee of 400usd if I register un january, is that right?

Correct - there is no enrollment fee for sitting part II within 4 years of passing part I.