Errors Found in Study Materials P1.T1. Foundations (OLD thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman,

In mock exam E, question 21, the question and the respective answer are not the same as in here in 503.1.

Best,
Hello@aangermeyer

Can you please let me know where you are seeing that they do not match the question and answer here in the forum? I just checked the PDF and the interactive quiz and question 21 shows what is here in the forum.

Thank you,

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman,

I think in Mock exam E, question 13, the answers do not belong to the stated question (which is question 703.2 in this thread).

Thanks,
@aangermeyer

I just checked the Mock E PDF and the interactive quiz and I do not see a discrepancy. The question and answers in mock E match what is here in the forum. Can you let me know where you are seeing that they don't match?

Thank you,
Nicole

Hello@aangermeyer

Can you please let me know where you are seeing that they do not match the question and answer here in the forum? I just checked the PDF and the interactive quiz and question 21 shows what is here in the forum.

Thank you,

Nicole

Hi @Nicole Seaman,

again, have a look at the second part of the document where the explanations for the answer is given.

Thanks,

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman,

again, have a look at the second part of the document where the explanations for the answer is given.

Thanks,
Hello @anngermeyer

Can you please provide a screenshot of the discrepancy that you are seeing? I've just re-checked my PDF and it is exactly the same as the forum.

Thank you,

Nicole

Branislav

this should be 20%, typo error I believe
Sorry, mine mistake, actually it is assumed that portfolio volatility and benchmark volatility are the same 10%.Just according to mine intuition, I was expected that higher return corresponds to higher volatility (at least when we are talking about efficient portfolios),but it looks like in this example our portfolio simply outperforms benchmark in terms that with same volatility gives higher return ( I am talking in terms of expected values).Please correct me if I am wrong. Kind regards

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Branislav You make a good point: a better input assumption would be a portfolio volatility, σ(r), that is higher than 10.0%; it does not need to be double, but a higher volatility would preserve a natural, theoretical trade-off between the higher-return/higher-risk portfolio and the lower-return/lower-risk benchmark. Under these assumptions, the Benchmark is "inefficient" in a way similar to how the lower segment of the portfolio possibilities curve (PPC) is inefficient on capital market line (CML): if you can get the same risk between to choices (in this case, σ = 10.0%), you should always prefer the choice with a higher return! ... So I do concede that my assumption is un-natural and maybe even imprecise, although as you've noted, it is merely in service of generating simulating returns for a portfolio in comparison to it's bechmark. Put another way, I was trying to impose guaranteed "alpha" into the outcome. The inputs are merely used to generate simulated returns, which is important. A key distinction is between ex ante (i.e., expected performance) and ex post (i.e., measured after the returns are produced) performance measures: while some measures can be either, the Sortino is a great example of an ex post measure, it really deserved to be measured on returns after they have been generated. Thank you!

aperrell

Dear David, this should be 20%, typo error I believe.

View attachment 2054

Can you guys tell me where this spreadsheet is?

The page 11 of "R9.P1.T1-Amenc_v9" says that "you can retrieve a copy of this worksheet in the Study Planner" but the worksheet avaiable does not contain the excel tabs related to 404.1, 404.2 and 404.3.

Is that right?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @aperrell but i just downloaded the XLS at https://learn.bionicturtle.com/topic/learning-spreadsheet-amenc-chapter-4-2/ and, see screenshot below, it containst 401.1, 404.2, and 404.3 including their referee in the TOC (?)

052819-r9-amenc-xls.jpg

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Can you guys tell me where this spreadsheet is?

The page 11 of "R9.P1.T1-Amenc_v9" says that "you can retrieve a copy of this worksheet in the Study Planner" but the worksheet avaiable does not contain the excel tabs related to 404.1, 404.2 and 404.3.

Is that right?
@aperrell

In addition to David's response above, the full spreadsheets are only available with the Professional study package so you wouldn't be able to access the tabs that David is referring to without upgrading to Professional. The sample XLS in the study planner only shows the first few tabs. ;)

Nicole

aperrell

Hello, @David Harper CFA FRM

Thanks for the answer.

The reference of T1.404.1 at the spreadsheet, for example, should link to a tab called "T1.404.1"

But the tab does not exist on the file.

Maybe the reference is invalid ?

aperrell

@aperrell

In addition to David's response above, the full spreadsheets are only available with the Professional study package so you wouldn't be able to access the tabs that David is referring to without upgrading to Professional. The sample XLS in the study planner only shows the first few tabs. ;)

Nicole

I think this is it.

Since the text of my material says that "you can retrieve a copy of this worksheet" I realized that it should be there.

Thanks.

tattoo

R1-P1-T1 Page 34
1562680718485.png
"it should it..." Is it a redundant "it" in this sentence? If not, please forgive my poor grammar...

Status
Not open for further replies.